Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Organ - Grab That Gun

The Organ are an all gay, all woman New Wave punk band from Vancouver, BC. To put it simply The Organ are a female version of The Smiths plus, surprise surprise, an organ. Angsty lyrics, melancholic delivery and androgyny all allow for a very interesting outlook on what it would have been like if Morrissey and Johnny Marr had been born woman in the late 80s. Unfortuatly The Organ broke up after only putting out this album and 2 EPs due to strife between the band members.

This album offers almost exactly 30 minutes (30:01) of post-punk new wave songs about love, hate and depression all backed by sad guitar rifts and an ever present organ(an no, not like the kind you have in your body[I'm sorry I had to make that shitty joke].) And while most people will rag on The Organ for their almost copy cat like qualities Grab That Gun is one of my all time favorite albums, I've been listening to it for years and I don't see me ever stopping. Not much more can be said by me about this album so I'll leave you with a quote from one of their songs Basement Band that pretty much sums up their music. "We should put that record on, the one you find when you were gone. The one that has those sad, sad songs that make you sing out loud."

Buy this album

No comments:

Post a Comment